Baseball cap, baseball glove, some snacks, some drinks – all that was required for a fabulous mother-son date night. Last evening, Austin and I had a rare occasion to just sit in each other’s presence and take in a Columbus Clippers baseball game. Very much a spontaneous event, due to a hot afternoon spent swimming, our girls were pretty tired out, so they chilled with Dad. We were first encouraged to attend this event in lieu of a friend gracing the audience with his brilliant vocal rendition of the “Star Spangled Banner” (way to go Matt!), and because of it, Austin and I shared some time just enjoying the “talk” of the game.
Favorite memories for me:
- Wear matching “free” Clippers hats while chewin on some twizzlers
- Talking about batter’s stances
- Talking batting stats. as shown on the big screen-thingy, asking questions, not just to stir conversation, but because I actually know nothing about them
- Predicting where the “next ball” would be hit
- Receiving the “gift” of a ball that the man-behind-us caught
- Talking “numbers”
Favorite all-time memory – hearing Austin say, “Mom, that was fun”, while holding my hand (sniff, sniff). For my little man of little words, this went straight to my heart. I love you Austin.